Greeley & Northern Colorado

(970) 489-1011

Metro Denver

(303) 300-0303 

Colorado Springs Area

(719) 738-6500

How to Deal with a Transfer Bond

Are you considering traveling out of your state? If so, then you must be aware of the fact that you might have a hard time posting bail in case you get arrested. This is because most bail bondsmen in Colorado will not post bail for a person living out of state. However, they can initiate a transfer bond and get in touch with a bail agent in the state where you are living.

What is a transfer bond?

A transfer bond refers to a situation where a bail bond is posted for you by a bail bondsman in your state if you get arrested in another state. A transfer bond allows your friends or family to go to the local bail bondsman’s office and do the processing for you. If you got arrested in another state, then it might be hard to find anyone willing to do the paperwork for you. However, by transferring this bond to your home state, you can relax because you will have a family member ready to help you out.

money exchange

Extra Fees                

Since there are multiple agencies involved, it is without a doubt that you will incur extra costs for the transfer bond. The good news is that the fee is capped by the state where you are, so you never have to worry about the fees being so high.

Financial Liability

The bail bondsman who requested the bond to be written bears the financial liability for the bond. If the accused does not pay, the bondsman whom the bond was transferred to, is to be held liable. Therefore, it is always important to look for a bail bond agent who can post bail for you regardless of where you are.

Also, keep in mind that most bail bond agents will only transfer a bond that is more than $10,000. Small bonds do not apply because of the huge costs involved in processing the bond.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest